THE SPIRIT-FILLED SERIES
TEXT: Ephesians 5:21
We have been studying about the Spirit-Filled life. In verse 18, the Lord commands us to “be filled with the Spirit” – this means we are brought under the Spirit’s control in every area of our lives.
The Holy Spirit takes control of the way you think, walk, talk, act, move – every aspect of the Spirit-filled life, being transformed by the power of the Spirit of God – In vs. 21, the Spirit-filled believer is to be a humble, submissive believer – it is a command to be submissive, with the humble heart of a servant.
SUBMISSION IS DEMANDED
- “Be subject (submitting) to one another…” – a command and not an option – we need to find out what submitting is and be about doing it
- “submitting” speaks to our relationships with others – Philippians 2:1-5
- Be Christ-like! Communion – Compassion – Cooperation – Consideration – Cross-Bearing
- Surrendering to the Spirit of God enables us to keep God and others in their proper place
SUBMISSION IS DESCRIBED
- “one to another” refers to the family of God – “mutual submission”
- Ephesians 5:22-32 – the marriage relationship
- Ephesians 6:1-4 – relationship between parents & kids
- Ephesians 6:5-9 – relationship between master and slave
- Christianity changed the whole dynamic of the culture – the submission God is looking for is “mutual submission”
SUBMISSION IS DIRECTED
- “in the fear of Christ” – “fear” refer to “reverence” – “honor” manifests in total obedience to Jesus and to His will in us
- Honoring Jesus means that we VALUE Him (and others)
- Honoring Jesus means that we put Him FIRST (and others)
- Honoring Jesus means that we are willing to make SACRIFICES for Him (and others)
- When Jesus holds the proper place in our lives, others will too.
Submission: we are to live to be Christ-like at all times – treat one another with respect – view every relationship as an opportunity to serve the Lord, by serving others.