THE SPIRIT-FILLED SERIES
TEXT: Ephesians 6:5-9
The entire Roman Empire functioned largely by slave power – slavery became abusive, God instructed Paul to lay down the Lord’s commands for the master-slave relationship. Let’s consider Spirit-Filled Service.
A WORD TO AN EMPLOYEE – vs. 5-7
• vs. 5 – How You Are To Submit – “be obedient” do what you are
told to do without argument or complaint – “with fear, and trembling”
means do what is right serving the Lord
• vs. 5-7 – How You Are To Serve – the Lord has given you a job – carry out the duties of that job to the glory of the Lord – God will bless!
• “with eye-service” refers to serving to impress – “men-pleasers” speaks of using flattery to advance on the job – both actions are manifestations of the flesh
• “as to Christ” “as slaves of Christ” “doing the will of the Lord from the heart” “with good will render service, as to the Lord, and not to men” – these statements teach us that we are to see ourselves as slaves to the Lord first and foremost to be pleasing to Him, our boss will be pleased with our service as well
• Serve Him out of Discipline – Compelled to serve the Lord
• Serve Him out of Duty – Convinced I owe it to the Lord
• Serve Him out of Devotion – Captured by the Lord –
I serve Him because I love Him – John 14:15
A WORD TO AN EMPLOYER – vs. 9
• A Christian employer’s first duty is to do the will of God and to manifest a Christ-like spirit in everything he does – based on God’s standards of righteousness, truth, and honesty.
• Employers or Employees are to be mutually submissive because they are equally loved, equally cared for and equally subservient to a common Master – Jesus
• 1. Employers or Employees – have the right heart (vs. 5-6)
• 2. Employers or Employees – have the right attitude (vs. 7)
• 3. Employers or Employees – have the right reward (vs. 8)
• 4. Employers or Employees – have the right perspective (vs. 9)
A WORD ABOUT ETERNITY – vs. 8-9
• vs. 9 – How God Considers Us – “no partiality with Him”
• vs. 8 – How God Compensates Us – the Lord will reward your faithful service
What’s the message? We are all servants. Every moment of our lives is to be lived in His service for His glory.