THE SPIRIT-FILLED SERIES
TEXT: Ephesians 5:22-33
God wants marriages to be SPIRIT-FILLED STRONG – to be a reflection of His relationship with every husband and wife – the process of building a Strong Marriage is life-long work – building on a Strong Foundation, with Strong Fundamentals and finally Strong Fruit – Let’s talk about Building A Strong Marriage.
- The Lord is mentioned 14 times – seems VERY clear He is the essential foundation on which a strong marriage is be built – Psalm 127:1 – “Divine Dimension”
- Know Jesus as Savior and Lord
- The Lordship of Christ is expressed in marriage through both the husband and the wife – His Lordship or Dominion will change a house into a home
- By coming under His Lordship you reap the benefits and blessings of God
- Surrender & Submission
- “non-negotiable essentials”
- Love – vs. 25, 28, 33 – 1 Corinthians 13:4-6 – “Nourish” & “Cherish” vs. 29
- Loyalty – vs. 31 – “leave and cleave”- 1 Corinthians 13:7
- Respect – vs. 22, 33 – “submit” means “to arrange under”
- Faithfulness – vs. 31 – Physically, Emotionally & Spiritually
- A Strong Marriage Sanctifies The Home – vs. 21-22; 25; 29
- A Strong Marriage Glorifies The Savior – vs. 32
- A Strong Marriage Witnesses To The Lost
- A Strong Marriage Instructs The Next Generation – Ephesians 6:1-3
Marriage is one of the greatest gifts God ever gave to humanity – and it is truly beautiful and a blessing when marriage operates like God intended it to.
THE CHURCH – A WARRIOR
TEXTS: Ephesians 6
The battle against sin and Satan will end in victory IF we properly equip ourselves for the fight. We live in days when Satan knows his end is soon and his efforts at lashing out against God and His church will intensify! Paul says that the Church is like a warrior – we must seriously understand the battle we’re in and be FULLY engaged in warfare as well-equipped warriors!
THE ENEMY IN THIS BATTLE – vs. 10-12
- The Enemy’s Name – vs. 11 – “the devil” means “accuser”
- The Enemy’s Nature – vs. 11-12 – (1) Shrewd: “schemes” refers to craftiness and trickery (2) Spiritual: “not against flesh and blood” (3) Strong: “rulers” “powers” “forces” (4) Sinister: “darkness” “wickedness”
- Defeated – 1 Peter 5:8; James 4:7; 1 John 4:4
THE ENERGY IN THIS BATTLE – vs. 10
- The Source – “BE strong IN the Lord and IN the power of His might”
- “power” refers to God’s “dominion and authority”
- “might” means “force, strength and ability”
- The Lord strengthens and energizes those who trust in Him
- The Scope – Mark 9:23; Mark 11:22-23; John 14:12; Ephesians 3:20
- The Strength – “able to stand firm, stand against, to resist”
THE EQUIPMENT IN THIS BATTLE – vs. 13-18
- Equipment Designed To Defend – vs. 13-17a – The Girdle Of Truth – The Breastplate Of Righteousness – The Shoes Of The Gospel – The Shield Of Faith: “in addition to all” important without faith you cannot effectively use your armor – The Helmet Of Salvation –
- Equipment Designed To Defeat – vs. 17b-18 – The Sword Of The Spirit – refers to the Word of God: Matthew 4:1-11 – Pray In The Spirit – the greatest offensive weapon we have is the ability to call on the Lord – Never be guilty of neglecting the awesome power of prayer! Prayer unleashes the power of God in the life of the believer and in the life of the Church!
The church is engaged in spiritual warfare. To overcome our enemy, we MUST stand firm as the Mighty Army of the Lord, in the power of the Holy Spirit, we MUST remain resolute in our confidence in God and determine never to accept defeat. Victory belongs to us!
THE CHURCH – A MYSTERY TEXTS: Ephesians 3
The mystery – The continued success and existence of the Church – this can only be explained by one thing – God’s supernatural power!
MYSTERY OF GRACE
- Unworthy – vs. 1-5 – God’s Love and Grace alone is a mystery!
- This mystery was revealed when Christ came and died – IN Christ (Ephesians 2:13) the most unworthy can BOLDLY (Hebrews 4:16) come into God’s presence through the blood of Christ!
- Unity – vs. 6 – God’s grace intended to do one thing – UNITE into one body, His Church!
- IN Christ – unites us, the mystery of God’s grace at work in our hearts and lives!
MYSTERY OF THE GOSPEL
- Unfathomable! – vs. 7-9 – 1 Corinthians 1:18 – the Power of the Gospel not only transforms those that hear it and respond but it transforms those who tell it!
- Unveiled! – vs. 10-13 – God’s making His presence and power known through His Church!
- It’s ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL that the Church BE UNITED in Mission, Mandate, and Ministry
- Through the Church God makes known His manifest wisdom! – Who We Are! Whose We Are!
- It’s important we live up to it!
MYSTERY OF GOD
- Unshakable! – vs. 14-19 – the Church’s success is based “solely” on God’s power, and His power is UNSHAKABLE! – Matthew 16:18-19
- Guard your FOCUS and FAITH – UNSHAKABLE MESSAGE; UNSHAKABLE GOD; UNSHAKABLE CHURCH – We are “rooted” in Christ! Let SALEM be bold!
- Unfailing! – vs. 20-21 – Don’t limit God – He’s ready to do “IMMEASURABLY MORE THAN WE ASK OR THINK” we MUST Believe and Act – NEVER FORGET the GOD FACTOR
- Salem IS NOT weak and ineffective; God’s Spirit is working through faith!
- NEVER OVER-ESTIMATE the power of the enemy around us and NEVER UNDER-ESTIMATE the power of God in us!
- Don’t LIMIT Him, TRUST Him!
The Church is a true mystery! The only explanation for the Church’s continued success and existence is the power of God and God’s people living TOGETHER IN CHRIST!
THE CHURCH – A TEMPLE
TEXTS: Ephesians 2:1-22
Salem has begun to embark on a journey to a new location and building – as the details where, when and how are ironed out, the Lord is preparing each of us for not only the journey but also the ministry of fulfilling our purpose. The message of the church must not be compromised, or the church will lose its mission and its mandate. We must not lower our standards to just entertainment, or try to just accommodate culture – we must speak to our culture a transformational message that Jesus makes the difference – not just be another “feel good” or “do good” organization but a “BE GOOD” organism, and that’s only possible when Christ lives in us – to be a HOLY TEMPLE with Jesus Christ Himself the chief cornerstone!
- Historical Reality – vs. 1-3 – Before we came to know God we lived as “unforgiven” “objects of wrath” – vs. 3b – gratifying our sinful and selfish desires
- God has taken “change lives” and “transformed hearts” – graced/grafted/gifted/gathered – to created His church!
- Believers are God’s workmanship – vs. 10
- Heavenly Restoration – vs. 4-10 – We don’t build God a temple, He builds us into one!
- We MUST realize how important we are TOGTHER in Christ … He’s made us into a family!
- TOGETHER there’s a job to do, not just a service to attend!
- We’re NOT saved by our good works, we’re saved to DO good works! – vs. 10
- Being the “church” is a lot more than just physically coming together once a week … we have a world to reach with a message of hope and forgiveness!
- Hopeless Rejection – vs. 11-12 – Without God man has no hope
- Hope Restored – vs. 13-18 – NOW IN CHRIST we are brought near to God!
- The Right Message – vs. 8-9 – In Christ – TOGETHER we’re being built into a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ – 1 Peter 2:4-5
- The Holy Residence – vs. 19-22 – to Impact the world Salem MUST be a LIVING temple that’s ALIVE IN CHRIST! God’s more impressed with our ATTITUDE than our ARCHITECTURE – so is the world!
- Don’t be a “stumbling block” be a “spiritual block” – be part of the greatest building project in Salem’s history … TOGETHER let’s build God’s Holy Temple!
The Jews built a temple in Jerusalem for God’s dwelling place, those stones are mostly gone but God is not – God’s Spirit lives in His holy temple of Grace (God’s presence & God’s Power operating in you)!
TEXT: Ephesians 6:1-3
Today we are here to worship the Lord and honor our mothers. Only one mother who is special…there’s no one like our mothers.
HER HANDS WORK
- Proverbs 31: mothers do all kinds of work:
- She sews – vs. 13, 19, 22
- She shops – vs. 14
- She cooks – vs. 15
- She gardens – vs. 16
- 27 – “She looks well to the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness”
- THANK YOU, MOM, FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!
HER MOUTH SPEAKS
- Proverbs 31:26 – “She opens her mouth in wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue“
- When John Wesley was at Oxford Unversity, he was shocked by the drinking of the students – writing his mother, Susanna Wesley, for her counsel, he received the following words: “My dear son: remember that anything which increases the authority of the body over the mind is an evil thing.” Great instruction!
- An editor submitted to Winston Churchill for his approval a list of all those who had been Churchill’s teachers. Churchill returned the list with this comment: “You have omitted to mention the greatest of my teachers – my Mother.”
- THANK YOU, MOM, FOR CARING ENOUGH TO TELL ME WHAT WAS WHAT!
HER HEART LOVES
- Proverbs 31:11-12 – “The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good and not evil all the days of her life”
- Proverbs 31:28 – “Her children rise up and bless her; Her husband also, and he praises her”
- The unselfishness of a mother shows a heart of love for her family. And all of us can remember many unselfish acts of devotion our mamas made to our homes.
- THANK YOU, MOM, FOR ONE-OF-KIND LOVE!
Thomas Edison once said, “I did not have my mother long, but she cast over me an influence which has lasted all my life. The good effects of her early training I can never lose. If it had not been for her appreciation and her faith in me at a critical time in my experience, I should never likely have become an inventor. I was always a careless boy, and with a mother of different mental caliber, I should have turned out badly. But her firmness, her sweetness, her goodness, were potent powers to keep me in the right path. My mother was the making of me. The memory of her will always be a blessing to me.”
Seven Marks of an All-In Christian Living All-Out!
“An All-In Christian Appropriates the Spirit’s Power”
TEXT: Ephesians 5:18-21
Paul speaks about how the All-In Christian seeks to operate under the influence of the Holy Spirit. He says that believers must live under the influence of the Holy Spirit and be, not full of wine, but be filled with the Holy Spirit continually. Therefore, an All-In committed Christian will:
Be Filled – vs. 18b
- “be filled with the Spirit” – not a suggestion – a command to obey – a conscious choice to surrender to the influence of the Spirit – Why?
- Because without the influence of the Spirit IN you and THROUGH you – you are completely unable to live like a child of God – Luke 18:27
- Ephesians 1:13-14
- The Spirit of promise – Signifies Authenticity
- The Spirit of promise – Signifies Authority
Continuously Filled – vs. 18b
- “Keep on being filled with the Spirit” means two things:
- (1) A command to obey every day – means no one can afford not to be living under the Spirit’s influence – daily choose to surrender
- (2) A command to obey in increasing measure – “continuous action” means allowing the Spirit’s influence in every area of my life – John 7:37-39
- “May not a single moment of my life be spent outside the light, love and joy of God’s presence and not a moment without the entire surrender of myself as a vessel for Him to fill full of His Spirit and His love.” – Andrew Murray
Completely Filled – vs. 19-21
- People notice a difference about a drunk – there IS a noticeable difference in those under God’s Spirit control and influence – a relationship with God WITH IMPACT
- Acts 1:8
- Romans 12:10-11
There’s an old saying, “Let go and let God.” That’s what the All-In committed Christian daily chooses to do. Are you letting God’s Spirit flow through you? How do you need to “let go” today?
The women of Salem Evangelical have begun to direct their efforts towards ministering to the homeless shelters in Marion Ohio. After meeting last week, they decided that the Father was directing them to help provide necessary items such as toiletries, white bath towels, and liquid dish soap to the residents of the shelters. These are currently the most pressing needs they have. Salem will be collecting these items each month at the church and will deliver them to the shelters once each month. It is exciting to see these ladies embrace the empowerment of the holy spirit in this way and become more active in the Father’s business. If you would like to get involved with us, please feel free to drop off the requested items, or get in touch with us at 740-387-7560. Stay tuned as we continue to allow the Spirit of Love to work through us in increasingly powerful ways!
Sometimes it is worthwhile to take a look at the landscape around you and take stock of the tools you have available as well as the best way in which to use them. Here at Salem, we are in a process of change, rebirth and preparation. This is where you come into play. As members and friends of Salem, we are asking for your help. You have information that we need, content that we can share, as well as a bountiful harvest of ideas to increase our visibility both on the internet, as well as in our community. Each and every one of you have a gift, talent, or idea that can be used. From pictures of events, to short posts or articles, each of you has something to contribute to the ministry of Salem. We are asking for you to think about how you might be able to help and start to post. We have our Facebook Page , Our website, and other arenas for you to pitch in! If you have any questions, ideas, or thoughts, please feel free to contact us!
About our Father’s Business,
Welcome to Salem Evangelical Church’s home on the web! After many months of inactivity, many new and exciting things are about to happen. Stay tuned as we begin to revamp, re-make, and re-energize Salem’s online presence….Look for new features, looks, and ways to interact with us online!
THE WAKE-UP CALL
TEXT: Romans 13:11-14
Romans 13 begins talking about the duty of the believer to respect and submit to government, Paul now turns his attention to the believer’s duty in daily life. While government passes laws that are designed to protect and order society, the Christian has a duty to live out the life of Christ as he passes through this world. That’s the emphasis of these verses – notice Paul uses the language of haste and urgency. He’s telling us that the duties mentioned here are not to be put off for another day, but are to be carried out every day. Let’s consider The Believer’s Spiritual Duty . . . The Wake-Up Call – you may find that you’re doing your duty well or come to see that there are certain areas that need attention.
WATCH DILIGENTLY – vs. 11
- Watch The Seasons – “time” refers to a “season of time” – verse has to do with the return of Jesus Christ – keep eyes on the changing world – understand the coming of the Lord is near
- Matthew 24:42-44
- Watch For Sleep – the time for slumber has long passed – many are sleeping – living lives as they please without any thought to God’s will or the return of Jesus!
- “sleep” defined “a state of inactivity, with a loss of consciousness, and a decrease in responsiveness to events taking place” – may He find us awake when He returns!
- Watch For The Savior – “our salvation is nearer than when we first believed” – three stages to salvation:
- Conversion – saved from the penalty of sin
- Sanctification – saved daily from the power of sin
- Glorification – saved from the presence of sin
- Paul reminds us that Jesus is nearer today than He was yesterday – Are you living your life in the anticipation of His soon return?
WAR DILIGENTLY – vs. 12
- A Time Of Crisis – time to be active in the business of the Lord – urgency – recognize the seriousness and the lateness of the hour and to get busy serving the Lord with whole-heartedness – “put aside” “put on” – recognize the hour and be all God wants you to be in these days
- A Time Of Commitment – the idea is of a man rising up – “armor” dressed serve – laying aside the ways of the old life and dressed for the new life in Jesus
- Total Commitment
- No Compromises, No Short-Cuts, No Holding Anything Back, No Excuses
WALK DILIGENTLY – vs. 13
- Show A Decent Walk – “behave properly” – live an outward life that’s consistent with who we are on the inside – pleasing to the Lord – Does that describe the life you are living?
- Shun A Devilish Walk – six sins to shun!
WAIT DILIGENTLY – vs. 14
- Wait Properly Dressed – “clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ”
- Adopt His character as your character
- Adopt His lifestyle as your lifestyle – walk in truth – walk in light – be faithful – be holy – reproduce the life of Christlikeness in front of a hell-bound world
- Wait Properly Disengaged – “not provision for the flesh” – “provision” means “forethought or planning” – don’t allow your mind, heart, will and emotions rule your life – allow the Spirit of God to control your thinking
Christian Wake-Up! . . . has the Spirit of God placed His finger on an area that needs immediate attention? If so, then bringing that need to Jesus! It’s time to wake up! It’s time to clean up! It’s time to dress up!